Latest news

NJC Clears Retired Public Servants For Judicial Appointments, Sets 10-Year Rule


The National Judicial Council (NJC) has stated that retired public servants are eligible for appointment as judicial officers, ending years of legal uncertainty surrounding the issue.

The decision was reached during the Council’s 111th meeting held on May 13, 2026, under the leadership of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun.

The new policy established clear conditions for retired public servants seeking appointment to the Bench and is expected to influence judicial recruitment nationwide.

The controversy emerged following a petition challenging the nominations of Ibrahim Abdullahi Yakubu and Bala Salisu Daura as Kadis of the Sharia Court of Appeal in Katsina State.

The petitioner argued that their previous retirement from public service disqualified them from judicial appointment.

After reviewing the matter, the NJC concluded that the Nigerian Constitution does not prohibit retired public servants from serving on the Bench, provided they meet the constitutional qualifications for the position.

The Council also relied on the Court of Appeal judgement in Ayoola v. Baruwa (1999), which held that retired legal practitioners are not barred from judicial appointments.

Under the new framework, retired public servants seeking judicial office must have at least ten years left before reaching the mandatory retirement age for judges.

Candidates must also disclose any criminal convictions, employment history, reasons for leaving previous jobs, existing obligations, and financial status.

The NJC said the policy is aimed at widening the pool of qualified judicial candidates while ensuring transparency and long-term service on the bench. Following the adoption of the policy, the Council approved the appointments of Yakubu and Daura as Kadis of the Katsina State Sharia Court of Appeal alongside other judicial appointments made at the meeting.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...