Nollywood Actor-turned-politician, Desmond Elliot whp currently represents Surulere Constituency 1 in the Lagos State House of Assembly has rejected the outcome of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Constituency held on Wednesday, 20 May, 2026.
Elliot who spoke after the primary election insisted that he will challenge the process through the party’s appeal mechanism.
He lost the APC ticket to Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, who polled 11,385 votes against his 270 votes in the primary election.
READ ALSO:
Odunuga-Bakare, reportedly backed by Femi Gbajabiamila, emerged victorious across the wards in Surulere Constituency I.
Although Elliot had earlier announced his withdrawal from the race citing irregularities and unfair treatment of his supporters in the course of the election.
However, in following developments after the primarimy election, Elliot denied reports that he had withdrawn from the race, clarifying that he only directed his supporters and agents to pull out of the voting process over alleged irregularities and intimidation.
“The only person who can ask me to step down is the party,” he said, adding that the APC had provided an avenue for appeal which he intends to pursue.
The lawmaker alleged that the primary election was marred by violence, intimidation, and the disenfranchisement of his supporters.
According to him, several of his supporters were prevented from participating in the exercise, while others allegedly sustained injuries during the process.
“There are videos of people going to the hospital. This is just primaries; it is not a do-or-die affair,” Elliot stated.
He further claimed that many of his supporters were locked out of the venue before voting commenced, questioning the credibility of a process that he said was abruptly halted within 20 minutes.
Despite the setback, Elliot maintained that he remains committed to serving the people of Surulere and would continue pursuing his mandate through lawful party channels.
