Latest news

Akume Calls For Unity In Benue APC


….decries diversion of materials at APC primaries

Ahead of Saturday’s presidential primary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Sen. George Akume, has called for unity within the party in Benue State.

He also expressed displeasure over the alleged diversion of materials during the party’s primaries held in the state earlier in the week.

According to a release by his spokesman, Yomi Odunuga, Akume spoke to reporters on Friday when he landed at the Makurdi Airport ahead of the APC presidential primary billed for Saturday.

The SGF urged party members and stakeholders in the state to place the collective interest of the APC above personal ambitions, noting that internal cohesion would be critical to the party’s success in future elections.

He appealed to aggrieved aspirants and their supporters to embrace dialogue and reconciliation, insisting that disagreements arising from the primaries should not weaken the party’s structure in the state.

He said: “The presidential primaries are taking place tomorrow (Saturday). We’re here to mobilise support for our dear president.

“He’s doing very well. I’ve told him repeatedly that he has no problem in Benue State. In this country, his performance, his commitment to patriotism, inclusive nature of government all speak in his favour.

“In a democracy, you must always have some opposing voices, but the truth is that his work is remarkable. His work has been approved by most Nigerians, and we are very sure that come tomorrow our people are going to vote massively for Mr President”.

Akume further described reports of the diversion of electoral materials during the primaries as disturbing, warning that such actions could undermine confidence in the party’s internal democratic process.

He called on party officials and security agencies to investigate the incident and ensure that those found culpable are held accountable, while assuring members that efforts were underway to guarantee a credible and transparent process going forward.

“I was not here during the last election. I received so many reports about diversion of materials, among other things, but I wasn’t here, so I don’t want to comment so much about that. What I want to say is this: I want the APC to be a united family.

“This was how we intended it to be. Those of us who were the founding fathers of the party, we don’t want factions in our party. We’re very sure that come 2027, Mr President will get back to the Villa”.

He appealed to supporters to remain peaceful and turn out in large numbers to participate in the primary election for the party’s presidential candidate.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...