Latest news

SDP Denies Submitting Presidential Candidate’s Name To INEC


The Social Democratic Party (SDP) has dismissed reports that it has submitted the name of its presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), describing the information as false and misleading.

The party, in a statement on Monday, Mr Lawal Ibrahim, Special Adviser on Media to the Executive National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Shehu Gabam, said it had yet to conduct any process for the emergence of its presidential candidate and therefore could not have forwarded any name to INEC.

It described reports of a purported national convention held in Bauchi state, where a candidate was allegedly produced, as an “illegal gathering” organised by “desperate politicians” bent on causing confusion and disorder within the party.

The statement read, “The attention of our great party, the Social Democratic Party (SDP), has been drawn to misleading and fake news suggesting that the party has submitted the name of its Presidential Candidate in the upcoming 2027 General Election to the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC after a Kangaroo party national convention reportedly held in Bauchi State.

“This is a false and calculated attempt to mislead our party members nationwide and the general public at large.”

The party maintained that the Electoral Act 2026 clearly spells out the procedures for the emergence of party candidates, insisting that no such process had been concluded by the SDP.

The statement further affirmed that, based on INEC records and a judgment of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam remains the authentic national chairman of the party.

It added that Gabam was already putting in place the necessary machinery for congresses and a national convention that would eventually produce the party’s presidential candidate for the 2027 polls under the supervision of INEC.

The SDP said it remained committed to democratic principles and credible electoral processes ahead of the next general elections.

The party also called on security agencies to investigate and caution those allegedly behind the circulation of the false report, accusing them of engaging in activities capable of causing public disorder and political tension.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...