Latest news

OPCI President Blames Spread Of Insecurity In Yorubaland On Negligence 


The President of the Oodua Progressive Care Initiative (OPCI), Dr Maruff Olarewaju, has attributed the insecurity which has engulfed Yorubaland now, and is spreading like wildfire, to the failure by the government and security agencies to promptly act when action was needed.

He said: “Negligence, carelessness, and I don’t care attitude among some leaders and stakeholders have allowed the crisis to deepen.

“For too long, both political and traditional leaders remained silent at the moments when their voices mattered most. While the bandits terrorised parts of Kwara and Kogi States — kidnapping and killing Yoruba people — many Yoruba Obas and political leaders looked away.

“The result is visible: more than 30 communities have been deserted, especially in Ifelodun, Isin, Ekiti, and Oke-Ero Local Government Areas of Kwara State. These areas are overwhelmingly Yoruba, yet the response from those who should defend them was weak and delayed.

“Some traditional rulers and leaders acted as though these attacks did not concern them because Kwara is not formally part of the South West. This is a dangerous illusion. As our elders say, ‘Kòtò tó bá pa ọmọ ẹṣin, yóò pa ọmọ ènìyàn’, which means that the trap that kills a horse will eventually kill a man.

“Whether we accept it or not, Kwara State is part of Yorubaland. What happens to the Yoruba people in Kwara will inevitably affect other Yoruba states.

“The human cost is already severe. Many have been killed, and many more remain in captivity, including Oba Layinka of the Layinka community near Igbaja in Ifelodun LGA. If prominent traditional institutions, such as the Ooni of Ife and other leading Obas, had raised a strong alarm and taken decisive steps early, alongside our political leaders, the escalation seen in Oyo and other areas might have been prevented.

“One cannot help but ask: Are Yoruba people now paper tigers? Why do these bandits attack Yoruba communities with such impunity?

“It is even more troubling that, despite having Yoruba sons and daughters in the highest positions of national security — serving as President, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff, Inspector General of Police, Comptroller General of Customs, and Director-General of the DSS — Yorubaland remains under attack.”

According to the OPCI President, the situation demands urgent reflection and action, adding that silence and indifference are no longer options.

“Our leaders, both traditional and political, must speak with one voice, act decisively, and put the safety of the Yoruba people above politics and personal comfort. The time to defend our land, our people, and our heritage is now,” he added.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...