…Demand Safer Classrooms
Academic activities were disrupted in Ogbomoso Town on Monday as teachers staged a peaceful protest at the Teaching Service Commission (TESCOM) office over the recent abduction of students, pupils, and teachers in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Carrying placards with various inscriptions, the protesters marched through the town and called on governments at all levels to intensify efforts to secure the release of those still in captivity.
The demonstration was triggered by the gory viral video of one of the abducted teachers who was gruesomely slaughtered by their captors. A video of the Principal of the community school and a teacher with a baby strapped to her back, begging to be rescued, further heightened the tension in the community.
The teachers said the attack underscored the urgent need for stronger security measures around schools and safer learning environments for both staff and students.
The protest came days after Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that seven teachers were among those kidnapped during the attack on schools in the area.
Speaking at a press briefing, the governor described the situation as “very difficult and challenging”, lamenting that some security operatives were injured by the IEDs wired around the National Park where the kidnappers are keeping the teachers and the students abducted.
Makinde also revealed that the government had received a video allegedly showing that one of the abducted teachers had been killed by the kidnappers. He said the development highlighted the urgency and sensitivity of ongoing rescue operations.
The governor assured residents that the state was deploying all available security logistics and working closely with community leaders, religious bodies, and security agencies to secure the safe return of the victims.
