Latest news

Group Alleges Plot By Desmond Elliot To Create Chaos In Surulere


A political pressure group, Surulere Accountability Front (SAF), has alleged a plot by the lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, Desmond Elliott, to cause chaos during Wednesday’s All Progressives Congress (APC) assembly primaries in the constituency.

The group, in a statement on Tuesday by its Chairman, Mr Olanrewaju Badmus, alleged that Elliott had allught non-residents into the constituency to disrupt the exercise across the six wards where voting would take place.

According to the group, the alleged plan is to use violence and gunshots to scare away genuine voters and force the primary election into an inconclusive outcome.

“We have confirmed information that Desmond Elliott, in desperation, has flooded Surulere 1 with non-Surulere people ahead of tomorrow’s primaries across all six wards where voting will take place.

“They allegedly plan to use gunshots to scare voters away and let the primary election become inconclusive, believing he will then be called for negotiation.

“We will not negotiate our representation with someone who has shown desperation, greed, disrespect for the organised Tinubu political structure in Lagos and lust for power,” the statement said.

The group further alleged that some of the individuals brought into the area were being accommodated in hotels, church halls, mosque halls, an OPC office in Ward G and market spaces within the constituency.

It claimed that some youths in the area had earlier chased out suspected outsiders from Lawanson Market and urged party members and residents to remain vigilant during the exercise.

“This is not the behaviour of a man who believes he can win. He wants to create chaos and then run to his media friends to claim he was rigged out.

“Do not give him that excuse. Know your ward members. If someone cannot be accounted for in your ward, reject them calmly and report immediately to party officials and security personnel on the ground, the group said.

The group also urged party members not to be distracted by social media campaigns, insisting that elections were won through grassroots mobilisation and participation.

It added that the party had assured full security coverage across the six wards and that accreditation for the exercise would be thorough.

The group declared support for the party’s gender inclusion policy and endorsed Mrs Barakat Odunuga-Bakare for the APC ticket in the constituency.

It would be recalled that Surulere Constituency I is one of the flashpoints in Wednesday’s APC primaries.

Odunuga-Bakare would contest against Elliott, who is seeking a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...