The Lagos State Government has disclosed that over 28,000 trucks have now been registered under the Lekki-Epe electronic call-up system introduced to regulate truck movement around the Dangote Petroleum Refinery, Lekki Deep Sea Port, and Lekki Free Zone corridor.
The government added that about 11,000 transport operators have also registered under the initiative as authorities intensify efforts to prevent gridlock and traffic disorder within the rapidly expanding industrial corridor.
The disclosure was made on Thursday in a statement issued to journalists by the Public Relations Officer, Bolanle Ogunlola.
The statement followed a status review meeting convened by the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Oluwaseun Osiyemi, alongside the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Olawale Musa, with officials of NUPENG, terminal operators, and other transport stakeholders.
The meeting, held at the Ministry of Transportation in Lagos, reviewed operational developments, compliance levels, and challenges associated with the implementation of the electronic call-up system introduced to coordinate truck access into the Lekki industrial zone.
Giving updates during the meeting, the Managing Director of E-Call Up Technology, Timi Koleolu, said compliance among truck operators had continued to improve since the commencement of the initiative.
He said, “About 11,000 transporters have registered with over 28,000 trucks under the system,” adding that the increasing registration reflected growing acceptance of the digital traffic management framework among stakeholders.
He added, “The objective is to ensure proper scheduling, reduce waiting time, and eliminate the kind of traffic crisis previously experienced in Apapa. What we are seeing now is a gradual buy-in from operators because they understand the long-term benefits.”
Reacting to concerns raised over trucks allegedly accessing the corridor without proper electronic clearance, the Commissioner for Transportation assured stakeholders that the state government would soon strengthen enforcement across the route.
Osiyemi said, “On challenges raised concerning trucks accessing the corridor without call-up, sustainable enforcement will be deployed very soon to ensure seamless movement. We are determined to make this system work effectively for all stakeholders.
“We cannot allow a repeat of the Apapa experience in Lekki. The whole idea behind this initiative is to proactively manage truck movement before the situation escalates beyond control.”
Attendees at the meeting stressed that collaboration among transport unions, government agencies, terminal operators, and private sector players would remain crucial to sustaining compliance and ensuring the long-term success of the initiative.
Also present at the meeting were the General Manager of LASTMA, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, the Director of Transport Operations, Olasunkanmi Ojowuro, representatives of NUPENG, terminal operators, and directors of the Ministry of Transportation, among others.
