Latest news

Gbenga Hashim Commends Court For Voiding INEC’s 2027 Election


Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim, a presidential aspirant on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), has hailed the judgment of the Federal High Court in Abuja nullifying parts of the 2027 general elections timetable issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Describing the ruling as a triumph for constitutional order and the rule of law, Olawepo-Hashim commended Justice M. G. Umar for what he described as a bold and principled judgment that restrained what he termed administrative excesses by the electoral commission and reaffirmed the supremacy of the Electoral Act, 2026.

The judgment followed a Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/517/2026 filed by the Youth Party against INEC over timelines fixed for party primaries and other pre-election activities ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Reacting to the decision, Hashim said he had consistently maintained that INEC must operate strictly within the limits of the law, revealing that he had previously written an open letter to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu cautioning against actions capable of undermining the Electoral Act.

READ ALSO:

“I have consistently argued that INEC must act within the confines of the Electoral Act. Unfortunately, those warnings were not heeded. This judgment has now vindicated that position,” he stated.

Hashim described the ruling as both timely and necessary, adding that it would help preserve the credibility of Nigeria’s electoral process and strengthen democratic governance in the country.

“I commend Justice M.G. Umar for his courage and fidelity to justice. This is a sound judgment that reinforces the supremacy of the law and restores confidence in our democratic institutions,” he added.

According to reports of the judgment, the court held that INEC lacked the statutory powers to impose timelines for party primaries that were inconsistent with provisions of the Electoral Act relating to submission of candidates’ particulars, withdrawal and substitution of candidates, publication of final candidate lists and campaign periods.

The court subsequently nullified the affected portions of INEC’s Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.

Hashim urged the electoral commission to comply fully with the judgment and ensure that future guidelines align strictly with provisions of the law.

However, as of the time the report was filed, neither the Certified True Copy of the judgment nor official court documents had been publicly released, while INEC had yet to issue an official reaction to the ruling.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...