Latest news

Turaki-led PDP Opens Presidential Nomination Process to All


The faction of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) led by Kabiru Turaki has dismissed allegations that presidential aspirants were being prevented from purchasing nomination and expression of interest forms ahead of the 2027 elections.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the faction’s spokesperson, Ini Ememobong, described the claims as false, insisting that the party had not obstructed any interested aspirant from participating in the process.

According to the statement, the party recently extended the deadline for the purchase and submission of nomination forms following appeals from members seeking more time to complete the process.

Ememobong noted that under the amended timetable, aspirants still had until Friday, May 22, 2026, to obtain and return completed forms, while special screening for those yet to be screened would take place on Saturday, May 23.

READ ALSO:

“We state clearly that the Interim National Working Committee is not aware of any hindrance by the party through its officials to prevent anybody from purchasing the forms,” the statement read.

He further clarified that although the party zoned its presidential ticket to the South, zoning arrangements could not override constitutional rights.

“To this end, we urge the public to discountenance any story alleging that the party is preventing people from purchasing forms.

“We reiterate that our forms are still available during the period specified in the amended timetable, and all Nigerians seeking to genuinely contest on our platform are free to obtain, fill, and return their forms,” he said.

The clarification followed earlier reports that the Turaki-led PDP planned to screen former President Goodluck Jonathan as its sole presidential aspirant.

However, the party later announced that Jonathan would not undergo the conventional screening exercise.

Speaking on the development, former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, who is a member of the PDP screening committee, said the former president did not require screening because of his previous experience in office.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...