Latest news

LP Still Strong Despite Obi’s Exit


The National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP), Senator Esther Nenadi Usman, has said the party is strong despite the exit of the party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Mr Peter Obi, from the party.

Usman, who spoke on Thursday at the screening of aspirants on the platform of the party for next year’s general elections, disclosed that three aspirants have obtained presidential nomination forms to contest on the Labour Party’s platform.

“We have three people who have purchased (presidential) forms,” she said, adding that many people would have obtained the nomination, but because the party has zoned its presidential ticket to the South.

“We have decided that as a party, our next flag bearer should come from the South. So that will limit the number of people who would buy from us, because anybody who is a Northerner and wants to buy is automatically disqualified,” the National Chairman stated.

She added that, judging by the number of people who have indicated interest in using the party as a platform to contest the 2027 elections, Obi’s exit has not affected its fortunes.

Senator Usman further disclosed that the Labour Party will adopt consensus to elect its presidential candidate, but assured that the aspirants would be properly screened.

The National Chairman frowned at the activities of the former National Chairman, Julius Abure, who was allegedly given free nomination forms in the name of the Labour Party.

She noted that the courts have said Abure’s tenure has ended, adding that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) monitored the national convention where new leaders were elected.

“The names on the website of INEC as the leaders of the party are those that were voted for in Umuahia,” she disclosed.

Senator Usman said the party has reported the matter to the Inspector General of Police and the Director General of the Department of State Service (DSS).



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...