Latest news

163 Anambra APGA Aspirants Consider Consensus Ahead Of Primaries


Ahead of the State and National Assembly primary elections of the All Progressives Grand Alliance ( APGA) in Anambra State, the 163 aspirants are said to be brain storming over opting for consensus candidates.

Shortly after the list of cleared aspirants was released, totalling 155, the party later cleared six more aspirants for the three legislative levels, bringing the number to 163.

Currently, 109 aspirants are for the state Assembly, 44 aspirants are for the Federal House of Representatives, and 10 aspirants are for the Senate.

For the state House of Assembly primary election, it is feared that 43 out of the 109 aspirants may step down for preferred candidates in a meeting of all the aspirants.

Though it is not clear about that of the Federal House of Representatives, a close source to the party said that some of the 42 aspirants have been meeting to decide who gets the tickets of the party, with a proviso that the successful aspirants would only go for one term.

However, that of the Senatorial primary election has no indications of aspirants agreeing on a consensus, as they have resolved to battle it out at the primary election.

When contacted, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mazi Ejimofor Opara, said that the party is not aware of such moves, adding that none of the aspirants has informed the party about a consensus.

Opara, however, said that consensus is part of the provisions of the Electoral Act, adding that the party welcomes such moves if it is possible for the aspirants to meet and agree.

“To the best of our knowledge of our great party, there is no such information with us, but there is nothing wrong in consensus because it is enshrined in the Electoral Act”

“If that is made possible the party needs to be informed early enough for us to be aware of what the aspirants are doing”, he said.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...