Latest news

Turaki-Led PDP To Screen Jonathan As Sole Presidential Aspirant


The Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has fixed Tuesday for the screening of former President Goodluck Jonathan as the party’s only presidential aspirant ahead of the 2027 general election.

This is contained in a press statement issued on Sunday by the faction’s National Publicity Secretary, Comrade Ini Ememobong.

According to the statement, a 14-member screening committee constituted by the party includes former Vice President Namadi Sambo, former Plateau State Governor Jonah Jang and ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs Tom Ikimi.

Other members of the panel are Chief Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam Ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenih, Dr Abdul Bulama, Dr Esther Uduehi, Edo PDP chairman Tony Aziegbemi, Dr Sunday Solarium and Chief Anicho Okoro, who will serve as administrative secretary.

Although the party’s statement referred only to “a lone presidential aspirant,” sources familiar with the process confirmed that Jonathan is the sole contender expected to appear before the panel.

READ ALSO:

Recall that last week, Ememobong disclosed that Jonathan had completed the party’s fresh digital registration exercise directed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The PDP faction also announced plans to screen 748 House of Representatives aspirants, 198 senatorial hopefuls, 112 governorship aspirants and 2,122 state assembly contenders as part of preparations for the 2027 elections.

According to a statement posted on the party’s official Facebook page, the nationwide screening exercise will begin on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at 10 a.m.

“The publication of the screening details is in accordance with the party’s guidelines and timetable for the conduct of the 2027 general elections,” the statement noted.

Meanwhile, former Imo State Deputy Governor Eze Madumere has declared his intention to secure victory for the PDP in the Owerri Senatorial District contest in 2027.

Madumere said he possesses the political structure, relationships and experience needed to restore representation and development to the zone through youth empowerment and economic opportunities.

“I have the political reach, capability, and capacity to win this election for our great party, the PDP. My name is not strange in Imo State,” he said.

“The people know me. They know my track record. They know what I stand for: equity and justice. Be assured, I am fully prepared, fully ready, and fully committed to this election.”

He added, “By the grace of God, with the support of our party faithful, stakeholders and the good people of Owerri Zone, victory is assured.”



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...