Latest news

Ondo Rep, Adefarati Wins Unopposed


The federal lawmaker representing Akoko South East/Akoko South West Federal Constituency, Hon. Adegboyega Adefarati, has won a second term ticket to the green chamber unopposed.

Adefarati, in a Press release on Sunday, signed by the leader of his media team, Olajide Ogbeye, stated that”according to the 2026 Electoral Act, the votes cast for any uncleared aspirant in a party’s primary amount to nullity under the electoral guidelines.”

“As the other two aspirants were disqualified or not cleared, the victory of Reps Adefarati is unopposed,” the team said.

The team made this assertion while congratulating Adefarati on his emergence as the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the federal constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The statement declared that only aspirants cleared by the party’s screening committee were eligible to participate in internal party primaries.

“It maintained that the participation of any disqualified aspirant contradicts established party and electoral procedures, stressing that such an exercise could be rendered invalid.

“We celebrate the emergence of our principal as the party’s candidate for the Akoko South East/South West Federal Constituency seat,” the statement read.

“The team added that Adefarati had consistently preached peace, unity, love and confidence in the electoral process.

“In a previous interview before the primary election, Otunba Adegboyega Adefarati said that he is a man of peace and that only God gives victory, and that has been confirmed in this process,” it stated.

The team further argued that party primaries must strictly follow screening guidelines, warning against attempts to legitimise the participation of disqualified aspirants.

“Under the INEC regulations and guidelines for party primaries, an individual must be a validly cleared aspirant to participate in a primary election”

They further stressed that any deviation from the rule could compromise the credibility of the process, insisting that the law must be respected at all times.

“If a party allows a person who was disqualified or not cleared by its screening committee to contest an internal election, the entire primary becomes a nullity

“Any votes cast for an uncleared person are legally considered wasted votes because such a person does not exist in the eyes of the internal electoral framework”

The team also condemned reported attacks on supporters of the lawmaker during the primary election, describing the incidents as unfortunate and avoidable.

They called on the security agencies to investigate the violence and ensure those responsible are brought to justice, while urging supporters to remain calm and law-abiding.

“As a team, we strongly condemn any form of violence against our supporters and unlawful arrests of our supporters in Supare-Akoko during the electioneering process and call for a thorough investigation into the incident,” the statement said.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...