Latest news

Nwifuru Dismisses Parallel Congress Rumours


…Backs Democratic Process

Governor Francis Nwifuru of Ebonyi State has dismissed speculations about a parallel congress in the state, insisting that only one congress committee had been constituted to conduct the party exercise.

Speaking at the Ebonyi APC office, the governor said party members and stakeholders were satisfied with the preparations ahead of the congress, describing the consultations as “noble” and productive.

“As you can see, everybody is happy. We held very noble consultations with our stakeholders and had several meetings. Issues were resolved at the zonal and consultative levels.”

He explained that the purpose of the exercise was to elect candidates who would represent the party, expressing confidence that credible candidates would emerge with the support of members.

Reacting to rumours that some groups from the southern part of the state were planning to organise a parallel congress, the governor dismissed the claims, stressing that democracy allows individuals to test their popularity through elections.

“We have only one congressional committee. If people are contesting elections, it is normal for them to come out and test their popularity, and that is allowed in a democracy,” he said.

The governor further maintained that there was no basis for any parallel congress, adding that the party’s electoral committee had already addressed concerns raised by members

On the issue of consensus arrangements within the party, Nwifuru noted that many individuals joined the party with personal interests and ambitions.

“The question would have been, what did these people do in 2, and what evidence is there of their support, whether they supported us or not, democracy allows everyone to test their popularity,” he added.

He reiterated that political competition should not be seen as a problem, describing it as part of the democratic process.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...