Latest news

DHQ Denies Existence Of Terrorist Base In S’West After Oyo School Attack


The Defence Headquarters has dismissed claims that terrorists have established a permanent operational base in Nigeria’s South West region following the recent attack and abduction of pupils and teachers in Ogbomoso, Oyo State.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, May 19, 2026 by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the military described the incident in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State as an isolated criminal act rather than evidence of an entrenched terrorist structure in the region.

The statement followed growing concerns after gunmen attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School in the Yawota and Ahoro-Esinele communities, abducting pupils, students, and staff members.

Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede, expressed sympathy to the families of the victims and assured Nigerians that security forces are intensifying efforts to secure the safe release of those abducted.

READ ALSO:

According to the Defence Headquarters, previous military operations had already cleared criminal elements from the Old Oyo National Park corridor, adding that current intelligence does not support claims of any structured terrorist base in the South West.

“The incident does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region,” the statement noted.

He further warned against narratives capable of causing panic or exaggerating the strength of criminal groups in the state.

The military disclosed that troops are currently carrying out search-and-rescue operations across forest corridors and ungoverned areas in the zone.

It also revealed that security forces recently made contact with the suspected kidnappers and have since reorganised to intensify pursuit operations.

The Defence Headquarters assured that the Armed Forces are working closely with other security agencies, local vigilantes, and community members to gather intelligence and dismantle criminal networks operating in the area.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...