Latest news

FCTA Evacuates 889 Beggars From Abuja


The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) said it has evacuated a total of 889 beggars and destitutes from major streets of Abuja in the past three months.

The administration, through the Ministerial directives, has intensified its crackdown on black spots around the city centre, targeting both beggars and other destitutes.

Head of FCT Enforcement, Ukachi Adebayo, who was part of the Operation sweep squad on Monday, confirmed the evacuation.

“In the past three months, we were able to evacuate about 835 of them. So, if we add it to the number we have now, it’s about 889.

“Those evacuated are being profiled and moved to government rehabilitation centres, where officials say they will receive welfare support and vocational training.

“The operation has already covered Maitama, Asokoro, Garki, Wuse and Gwarinpa, with enforcement expected to continue in other hotspots.

“But the evacuation effort is unfolding against the backdrop of a disturbing intelligence report linking criminal syndicates to the same population the FCTA is trying to remove from the streets”, she added.

Also speaking, Secretary of the FCT Command and Control Centre, Dr Peter Olumuji, lamented that intelligence reports revealed that criminal networks are now using some of the street beggars, physically challenged persons, for their illicit activities.

He said, “ The sad thing is that, as vulnerable as they have become, they have also become a useful tool in the hands of criminal elements.

“From intelligence we have gathered over time, they use them to courier illicit drugs, especially at night. Who would suspect that a physically challenged person could courier illicit drugs? But they use them to do that.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...