Latest news

Adekunle Gold’s Lawyer Reacts To Conviction


Lawyer to Afrobeat singer, Adekunle Gold, Oyinkansola Fawehinmi, has reacted to the recent conviction of an X user, Adeboye Samuel Adeyeye, popularly known as @Swanky001, following his posts on the singer’s daughter.

New Telegraph reports that the Federal High Court in Lagos recently convicted Adeyeye for cyber-threats, cyber-harassment and cyberbullying against Adekunle Gold and his family.

Delivering the judgment in the case titled IGP v. Adeboye Samuel Adeyeye (Suit No. FHC/L/236C/26), the court found Adeyeye guilty on all three counts, marking what observers describe as a landmark ruling on online harassment and defamation in Nigeria.

According to the prosecution, the incident initially began in July 2025 when Adeyeye posted a false claim on his X handle stating that Deja (Adekunle Gold and Simi’s first daughter) was dead.

Despite widespread criticism and appeals from social media users for him to delete the post due to concerns over the child’s safety, the defendant allegedly refused to remove it.

READ ALSO:

Investigators argued that Adeyeye deliberately sustained the false narrative for about eight months in a bid to boost engagement and benefit financially from X’s ad-revenue sharing programme.

The harassment reportedly continued until March 2026, when security operatives arrested the defendant.

During proceedings, the defence counsel pleaded for leniency, citing Adeyeye’s age, health condition, status as a first-time offender and his admission of guilt. The court also considered apology letters submitted by his parents in making its ruling.

In the ruling, Adeyeye was sentenced to two years imprisonment on Count One for cyberbullying under Section 24(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes Act 2024, two years imprisonment on Count Two for cyber-threats under Section 24(2)(i) of the Act, and one year imprisonment on Count Three for cyber-harassment under Section 375 of the Criminal Code Act which is a cumulative 5 years prison-time.

However, the court ordered that the sentences run concurrently and gave the convict an option of a ₦1 million fine. A permanent restraining order was also issued, barring him from further actions capable of damaging the reputation or peace of the complainants.

Reacting to the judgment, Adekunle Gold’s lawyer, Oyinkansola Fawehinmi, warned that investigations into other accounts linked to the smear campaign were ongoing.

“This decision should serve as notice to anyone publishing or amplifying defamatory statements against our clients. Investigations into other accounts connected to this campaign are ongoing, and we are confident that due process will take its full course,” she said.

She also commended the Nigeria Police Force and the judiciary for their handling of the matter, while thanking fans and supporters of the family for standing by them throughout the case.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...