Latest news

Judgment That Ordered £420m Payment To Slain Enugu Coal Miners Transmitted To Uk


The judgment of the Enugu State High Court which awarded £420 million in favour of 21 miners unlawfully killed in 1949 by colonial police has been transmitted to the authorities of the United Kingdom.

The judgment which came 74 years after the Nigerian coal miners were massacred during a demand for better working conditions was served on the British government for execution, especially payment of £20 million compensation to each of the 21 deceased’s’ families.

A Professor of Law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Professor Yemi Akinseye-George (SAN), who led the legal battle that brought justice to the families of the slain miners, confirmed on Friday in Abuja that the judgment delivered by Justice Anthony Onovo is now in possession of the British government.

Akinseye George told newsmen at a press conference that the judgement was dispatched to the United Kingdom through the British High Commissioner in Nigeria for execution as ordered by the Nigerian Court.

In the judgement delivered on February 5, by Justice Onovo, the United Kingdom which ran the coal mining for commercial purposes as the then colonial master of Nigeria, was ordered to pay the families of the 21 victims £20 million each, amounting to a total of £420 million in all.

Going by the order of the Nigerian court, the UK is expected to pay the judgement debt to the victims within 60 days and re- port the compliance with the judgement execution to the court within 90 days.

Professor Akinseye George, while confirming the development, expressed optimism that the British government will obey the order that came from a competent court of law.

He expressed delight that justice finally came the way of the 21 slain miners, 75 years after their lives were unlawfully terminated while working for the then Nigeria’s colonial masters.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...