Latest news

Congress: Ward Congress Peaceful In Ondo


 

The Ward Congress Committee deployed to Ondo State by the national secretariat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared the congress held in the state free, fair, and credible.

The committee, headed by Chief Margaret Aruruenu, advised those aggrieved with the outcome of the congress to approach the Appeal Committee for redress instead of resorting to violence.

Speaking while receiving results from returning officers from the 18 local government areas of the state, Aruruenu explained that the election was conducted in all 203 wards in the state without any major crisis. She appreciated party members and returning officers for complying with the guidelines during the election.

Her words:
“The congress has been conducted and everything has been concluded. We are happy that it was peaceful. It took place in all the 18 LGAs in the state. We appreciate all the returning officers for serving the party diligently.”

Fielding questions from journalists, the Secretary of the Committee, Barrister Smart Iheazor, said:
“The exercise was very free and in total compliance with the guidelines given to the committee to conduct this ward election. It was hitch-free. However, as we said, tomorrow the Appeal Committee will be sitting. I assure you that no person will have any grounds to challenge this election, which was free, fair, credible, and transparent.”

Asked if the committee received any reports from the field during the congress, Iheazor said:
“There were some reports here and there, but they did not in any way affect the credibility of the exercise. Specifically, we have not received any negative feedback from any of the election officers. The election was very peaceful. All our members voted, and all our card-carrying members are happy. This is the result we have here. I can assure you it was very credible and transparent.”

However, there were attacks in Idanre town, during which four people were reportedly killed. Engr. Raphael Adetimehin, the younger brother of the state chairman of APC, was reportedly attacked with machetes and an axe, sustaining multiple stab wounds, and was left in a coma.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...