Latest news

Troops Rescue 92 Kidnapped Victims Of Boko Haram In Borno


The troops of North East Operation Hadin Kai of the Nigerian Army have rescued 92 kidnapped victims of Boko Haram insurgents along Buratai Kamua road in Borno State, as well as foiled an improvised explosive device (IEDs) ambush.

The Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) in a statement issued on Sunday by its spokesman, Lt Col Uba Sani, said, “Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East) Operation HADIN KAI (OPHK) have demonstrated their unrelenting commitment to the protection of civilians, executing a swift and decisive rescue operation that freed 92 kidnapped victims from BH/ISWAP terrorists along the Buratai–Kamuya road, Biu Local Government Area, Borno State.”

“On Saturday, 23 May 2026. At approximately 1122 hours, alert troops of the 135 Special Forces Battalion deployed at Dutse Kura detected BH/ISWAP terrorists forcibly herding civilians and vehicles off the road and into the surrounding bush using their surveillance system,” the statement said.

Lt Col Sani further said, “The unit’s quick Reaction Force was immediately mobilised, while reinforcement troops from 27 Task Force Brigade Garrison were simultaneously activated to join the rescue. Converging on the terrorists in a well-coordinated pursuit towards the Mangari-Dora general area, OPHK troops engaged the insurgents and forced them to abandon their captives and flee in confusion. All 92 kidnapped victims, comprising 52 males, 33 females and 7 children, along with 8 vehicles, were successfully recovered.

“In a desperate bid to delay the advancing troops, the fleeing terrorists covertly emplaced three IEDs along the Bula Zarma, Mangari general area in a calculated ambush attempt,” the military said.

“The plot failed. The unit’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team responded with precision and successfully detonated all three devices, clearing the route and enabling troops to press the pursuit approximately five kilometres beyond the Mangari general area. Subsequent search operations were conducted across the area, but the terrorists, having abandoned their captives, their vehicles and their tactical objectives, had scattered in complete disarray.

“OPHK troops sustained zero personnel or equipment casualties throughout the operation. The rescued civilians were consolidated, provided immediate welfare support and escorted by troops all the way to Damaturu, where they were released to continue their journey.

“This operation once again affirms the operational reach, surveillance capability and combat readiness of OPHK and serves as an unambiguous message that any attempt by terrorists to harm, kidnap or intimidate civilians will be met with swift and overwhelming force across the entirety of the North East Theatre,” the statement added.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...