Latest news

SERAP Demands Full Disclosure Of Beneficiaries Of $460m Abuja CCTV Project Funds


The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has called on the Federal Government to immediately disclose the identities of all local contractors, subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and other beneficiaries involved in payments made under the $460 million Abuja CCTV Project.

SERAP specifically urged the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr. Taiwo Oyedele, to release the details in the interest of transparency and accountability.

The civic organisation made the demand following a recent response by the Federal Ministry of Finance to contempt proceedings initiated by SERAP over alleged non-compliance with a Federal High Court judgment delivered in May 2023.

READ ALSO:

According to SERAP, the Ministry disclosed in a letter dated 15 May 2026 and signed by the Permanent Secretary, R. O. Omachi, that records from the Ministry of Police Affairs showed that local subcontractors “may have been engaged,” but there were no detailed subcontracting records identifying the specific local companies that directly received funds from the Chinese loan.

SERAP expressed concern that despite the court judgment being delivered nearly three years ago, some information was only released after contempt proceedings and a Notice to Show Cause were filed in January 2026.

The organisation argued that Nigerians still do not know the identities of local contractors linked to the controversial project, raising concerns about transparency, accountability, public interest, and record keeping.

On 15 May 2023, Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court reportedly ordered the Ministry of Finance to disclose details relating to payments made under the Abuja CCTV loan, including the identities of both local and Chinese contractors, the implementation status of the project, and information concerning the N1.5 billion allegedly paid for the Code of Conduct Bureau headquarters project.

SERAP maintained that the information released by the Ministry amounts to only partial compliance with the court judgment, insisting that several critical questions surrounding the project remain unanswered.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...