Latest news

DSS To Arraign El-Rufai On Three-Count Charge, Sets Feb 25


The Department of State Services (DSS) will on Wednesday, February 25, arraign former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged cybercrime and threats to national security.

The suit marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 will be heard at the Federal High Court in Abuja before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik.

New Telegraph gathered that the date was fixed after the Chief Judge of the court, Justice John Tsoho, reassigned the matter to Justice Abdulmalik.

This news platform had earlier reported that the DSS filed a three-count charge against the former governor on Monday for illegally tapping the telephone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

The security agency then levelled allegations against him of violating provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, as well as the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

READ ALSO:

In the first count, the prosecution alleged that El-Rufai admitted during a February 13 appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja that he and others intercepted the NSA’s phone lines. The alleged conduct is said to contravene Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.

The second charge claimed that during the same television interview, the former governor acknowledged knowing an individual who carried out the interception but failed to report the matter to the appropriate security authorities. This, prosecutors argue, violates Section 27(b) of the same Act.

The third count accused El-Rufai and others still at large of deploying technical devices in Abuja in 2026 to compromise public safety and national security by unlawfully accessing the NSA’s communications.

The charge stated that the act, allegedly admitted during the February 13 interview, “and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

Recall that during the live broadcast, El-Rufai claimed he overheard Ribadu instructing security operatives to detain him. He linked the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12 upon his return from Cairo, Egypt.

The former governor was earlier detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over separate corruption allegations. Although he was granted administrative bail around 8 p.m. on Wednesday, he was subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.

Confirming the development, ICPC spokesperson John Odey stated in a message shared with journalists, “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...