Latest news

ADC, Accord, Others Deregistration Suit Shifted To February 24


The suit seeking the deregistration of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Action Alliance (AA), Accord Party (AP), Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) and the Action Peoples Party (APP) was on Monday postponed to February 24 at the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The matter, which was initially fixed for Monday, could not proceed due to the absence of the presiding judge and was consequently adjourned to Tuesday, February 24, 2026.

The court premises were charged with activity as all parties to the suit were present and duly represented by their legal teams.

Meanwhile, the National Forum of Former Legislators, the Independent National Electoral Commission and the ADC each paraded two Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs), while Accord had one SAN, with other parties equally represented by senior counsels.

The Legal fireworks are expected to commence next week when the court resumes hearing.

Speaking to journalists after the court appearance, the Lead Lawyer for NFFL, Yakubu Ruba (SAN), stated that “The suit filed by the NFFL sought court interpretation of the Constitution and to expound our electoral jurisprudence.”

It would be recalled that the National Forum of Former Legislators, a public interest group, instituted the suit in December 2025, challenging the continued recognition of the affected political parties over alleged failure to meet the constitutional threshold for existence as political parties in Nigeria.

The group has consistently maintained that the legal action is aimed at enriching and strengthening Nigeria’s electoral jurisprudence.

According to the Forum, the case represents a crucial step toward promoting adherence to the rule of law and ensuring a more credible and functional political system in the country.



Tags :

Related Posts

Must Read

Popular Posts

The Battle for Africa

Rivals old and new are bracing themselves for another standoff on the African continent. By Vadim Samodurov The attack by Tuareg militants and al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM group (Jama’a Nusrat ul-Islam wa al-Muslimin) against Mali’s military and Russia’s forces deployed in the country that happened on July 27, 2024 once again turned the spotlight on the activities...

I apologise for saying no heaven without tithe – Adeboye

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has apologised for saying that Christians who don’t pay tithe might not make it to heaven. Adeboye who had previously said that paying tithe was one of the prerequisites for going to heaven, apologised for the comment while addressing his congregation Thursday...

Protesters storm Rivers electoral commission, insist election must hold

Angry protesters on Friday stormed the office of the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, singing and chanting ‘Election must hold’. They defied the heavy rainfall spreading canopies, while singing and drumming, with one side of the road blocked. The protest came after the Rivers State governor stormed the RSIEC in the early hours of Friday...

Man who asked Tinubu to resign admitted in psychiatric hospital

The Adamawa State Police Command has disclosed that the 30-year-old Abdullahi Mohammed who climbed a 33 kv high tension electricity pole in Mayo-Belwa last Friday has been admitted at the Yola Psychiatric hospital for mental examination. The Police Public Relations Officer of the command SP Suleiman Nguroje, told Arewa PUNCH on Friday in an exclusive...